McClintock Well #1 was one of the hundreds of wells drilled along Oil Creek during the frenzy that followed the success of the Drake Well. Brewer, Watson and Company leased land on the Hamilton McClintock Farm and commenced drilling in August 1861. Using leg power, they "kicked down" the well until it struck oil at a depth of 620 feet. McClintock Well #1 initially produced 175 barrels of oil a day but was down to half a barrel a day in 1920. what makes the it remarkable is that it continues to produce over 150 years later.
Over the decades, McClintock Well #1 changed ownership a number of times. Owners included:
The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission acquired McClintock Well #1 in 2000. located off Route 8 just north of Oil City, Pennsylvania. The well is pumped quarterly and proceeds from the oil sales are restricted to repairs, upkeep and maintenance of the McClintock Well #1 site. In addition to interpreting the early days of Pennsylvania’s oil industry, the McClintock Well #1 site serves as a trailhead on the Erie to Pittsburgh bike trail.
The McClintock Well #1 interpretive area and trailhead are open dawn to dusk year-round. Admission to the site is free.